The Technical Committee (“TC”) is tasked with providing the technical oversight and steering for the Nordix Foundation, its infrastructure and community projects. It ensures compliance with the Nordix Foundation code of conduct, decides on issues affecting multiple projects, approves the creation of new projects to the Nordix Foundation, and fosters community relationships.
Nordix Foundation Projects are activities where teams participate toward a set of goals as outlined and approved by the TC. Project Teams may seek approval from the TC for any code repository and produce any deliverable they deem necessary to achieve their goals.
Technical Committee (TC) Membership¶
The TC is composed of as many members are deemed as required for the term, a term of the TC is 12 months and is renewed using elections each year. All TC members must be Nordix Foundation individual members, an individual member service as a TC member can cumulate any other role, including Foundation Director while serving on the TC.
The TC will elect from it's members a TC Chairperson to serve during the term of it's composition.
- Is elected by the Technical Committee to serve a term of one year
- The role of Chairperson may be delegated to another TC member when the chair is unable to perform the duties of chairperson
- Provides a coordination point and oversight of the work preformed by the TC
- Arranges and chairs the TC Meetings on a regular basis
- Set date and times in agreement with the TC members
- Coordinates and drives the agenda
- Represent the technical community toward the Nordix board
- Communicate TC Decisions to the Nordix board
- Raises issues in need for Board decisions or support to the Nordix Board
- Communicates Nordix Board decisions and priorities to the TC
- TC Chairperson may also act as an advocate and technical spokesperson for the Nordix community
To form a quorum, and be able to vote on matter, at least half of the serving TC members need to be present. When a TC member is unable to attend a TC meeting they may delegate to another Nordix community member to attends and vote, in their place. Community members who do not serve on the TC are strongly encouraged to participate in the meeting and voice their opinion, though only TC members can ultimately cast a vote.
Motions presented before the TC should be discussed publicly to give a chance to the wider community to express their opinion. It is at the discretion of the TC chairperson to evaluate when a subject has received enough community input. It is advised that motions be announced on the Nordix discuss mailing list and posted to wiki for review for a minimum of 4 calendar days prior to a TC meeting where the motion is to be presented.
TC members can vote positively, negatively, or abstain on any motion. Decisions require more positive votes than negative votes (ties mean the motion is rejected), and a minimum of positive votes of at least one third of the total number of TC members.
Candidates for TC seats¶
Any Nordix Foundation individual member can propose their candidacy for an available, directly-elected TC seat. The TC can propose to change the candidate rules via motions.
Election for TC seats¶
The TC elections occur toward the end of each annual TC term. The TC is elected from nominees for the TC, the current TC chair oversee the process of TC elections.
- TC membership nominations begin during the nomination period, the month of November.
- TC elections occur following a Condorcet model across all nominees during the first week starting in December. All Nordix Foundation individual members are able to vote.
- Once the TC members have been elected the members will open nominations for the TC chairperson role, the nomination period will be the week following the TC elections.
- Voting for the TC chairpersons seat will follow the Condorcet model across all nominees. All TC members are able to vote.
- Once the TC chairperson has been elected the TC is ready to form. The TC, and chairperson, term begins on the 1st of January the following year.
Termination of TC seat
A TC member may stand down during their term, this decision should be communicated on the mailing list
A Motion may be put forward to the TC to remove a member. Such a motion must be passed by two-thirds of the (total -1) number of TC members. Possible reasons for remove is consistent unexplained non attendance/no contribution or significant failure to meet with the ideals of the Nordix foundation.
Amendments to this Technical Committee charter shall be proposed in a special motion, which needs to be approved by the affirmative vote of at least two-thirds of the total number of TC members .