- Project Name: Opendaylight
- OpenDaylight (ODL) is a modular open platform for customizing and automating networks of any size and scale. The OpenDaylight Project arose out of the SDN movement, with a clear focus on Network programmability. It was designed from the outset as a foundation for commercial solutions that address a variety of use cases in existing network environments. OpenDaylight (ODL), an open source SDN project hosted by the Linux Foundation, was created to advance software-defined networking (SDN) adoption and create the basis for a strong network functions virtualization (NFV). It was created as a community-led and industry-supported open source SDN framework.
Software-defined networking (SDN) technology is an approach to network management that enables dynamic, programmatically efficient network configuration in order to improve network performance and monitoring making it more like cloud computing than traditional network management. SDN is meant to address the fact that the static architecture of traditional networks is decentralized and complex while current networks require more flexibility and easy troubleshooting.
SDN attempts to centralize network intelligence in one network component by disassociating the forwarding process of network packets (data plane) from the routing process (control plane).
Mission : The aim of the OpenDaylight Project is to offer a functional SDN platform that gives users directly deployed SDN without the need for other components. In addition, contributors and vendors can deliver add-ons and other pieces that will offer more value to OpenDaylight.
- Describe the area that project is addressing
" The goal of the project is to promote software-defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV)."
- Describe the planned areas of focus and development (for instance keystone federation for distributed clouds)
- Specify any upstream sources or projects the team will be working with (for instance OpenStack/keystone)
- Specify and local testing and integration needs (outline intent here, infra needs are listed later)
- Describe how the project is extensible in the future or how others might participate
- Specify your infrastructure needs for the project.
- Similar to the ONAP project, we request forks created from existing ODL Kernel projects into the Nordix namespace, and the requisite job/workflows to mirror those repos and upstream contributions.
- Main repos consist of :
- Identify similar projects is underway or being proposed in Nordix or upstream projects
- Identify any specific development be staged with respect to the upstream project and releases.
- Jenkins is not setup in Nordix at present, No dependencies for any project in Odl,
Project members and contributors:
- Names of the committers/maintainers
- Names of any other members/contributors